Alcohol addiction is a serious disease that suppresses the will and disturbs the human psyche. Therefore, drunks should be treated as sick and nothing else. We must remember that there is no point in stopping the alcoholic with scandals, persuasions and tantrums. This can only be done at the expense of great effort and self-control. When acting, the wife must be ready for a tough fight, as it is not easy to make the husband stop drinking
When it comes to female alcoholism, the situation is even worse. Husbands, children, relatives of alcoholics must understand that it is much more difficult to persuade a woman than a man. As a rule, the addict categorically denies having a problem, considers himself perfectly healthy and does not want to change anything. The treatment seems useless, and she considers all persuasion and advice from relatives a personal insult.
Important! This article will discuss how to make a person stop drinking without going to court or a mental hospital. If a drunkard shows signs of mental disorders or poses a threat to others, it is necessary to seek outside help as soon as possible.
How to talk to an alcoholic
It is very difficult to force an alcoholic to turn to specialists, common conversations or ultimatum requests cannot be dealt with here. You need to choose a certain way of talking, gaining endurance and patience. For this, narcologist-psychotherapists recommend adherence to certain recommendations.
Wait for the "X" time. It is useless to talk about treatment with a drunk person, because in that state he is very satisfied with his life and sees no real problems. In the morning, after drinking, you should also not start a similar conversation, because in the hangover, the alcoholic will agree with all the arguments and promise everything you want to hear from him.
The tone of the conversation is also important. The main thing is to refuse accusations and reprimands, which will only aggravate the situation and, unconsciously, turn the patient against you. Do not raise your voice, it is better to speak calmly, because alcohol seriously disturbs the structures of the nervous system, so a conversation can easily turn into another scandal or, even worse, into physical violence by the drinker.
How to influence an alcoholic
It is not easy to convince a drunk that alcoholism is a problem not only for him, but also for the environment. To do this, relatives of the drunk will have to be patient, persevering and also find an approach to discover how to get a loved one treated for alcoholism.
It is impossible to persuade an alcoholic who is euphoric and satisfied with this lifestyle to stop drinking quickly. It is inappropriate to conduct an educational conversation during a hangover syndrome. In this state, the patient will not pay attention to persuasion, although he makes several promises to end the conversation as quickly as possible and take an economical dose of alcohol.
It is best to start a conversation when a drunk is faced with the negative consequences of "intoxicating" drinks. It can be:
- impregnated salary;
- car destroyed;
- exemption from work;
- family problems.
You cannot succeed with accusations and rebukes. So it won't work to put a drinker on the path to correction, even if you really want to. For the drunk to pay attention to persuasion, here are some tips:
- you should talk to an alcoholic calmly, without raising your tone. It is undesirable to scream, as such actions on the part of loved ones can provoke an unpleasant reaction in the drunk. This is explained by the fact that alcoholics have an unstable nervous system, and this is full of scandals or beatings;
- When talking to an addict, it is necessary to behave with confidence and determination that you are right. This will allow the opponent to understand the gravity of the situation and the firmness of the interlocutor's opinion;
- there's no need to cry and feel sorry for a life that didn't work out because of an alcoholic. These actions will also not bring positive results;
- there is no need to pressure the patient with empty threats. If you promise to do something if the drunkenness continues, then you should definitely fulfill the ultimatum.
If one of the spouses drinks?
The tense situation in the family due to alcohol abuse by one of the spouses is not a reason for his forced release from addiction.
This is prohibited by law and can cause significant damage to the health of an alcoholic, especially if, without his consent and prior consultation with a doctor, add toxic disulfiram-based drugs to food.
Wives or mothers of drunks should not repeat the most common mistakes women make:
- First of all, you need to understand that a drunk cannot be trusted. His 100th promise to give up alcohol is a myth.
- It is impossible to threaten in an empty way, if your words are not supported by action, it is better to simply not pronounce them. They convince the alcoholic of impunity.
- It is unacceptable to offend your spouse, you need to be able to arouse a feeling of guilt in your next irrational trick (waste of money, delay in returning home).
- Instead of unrealizable threats, you can cause fear of imminent death in a drunk by pointing out the symptoms of your health, characteristic of the possible development of cirrhosis or cancer.
- One must stop protecting the drunk from the censorship of others, who will undoubtedly cause shame and remorse.
- It is necessary to restrict the drinker's access to family money, not giving a penny for alcohol.
- Find out the real reason for drunkenness, especially when it comes to a woman. Without removing the addiction trigger, you cannot get rid of it.
Motivation for a sober lifestyle
The hope of saving the family can convince an alcoholic to stop drinking.
To motivate an alcoholic to fight the green snake, it is necessary to pass on to him all the benefits of a sober life, what benefits await him after he stops drinking. There are different motivations.
You can focus on the family's well-being, because alcohol abuse almost always leads to the destruction of the family. The hope of saving the family can convince the alcoholic to stop drinking. Until alcohol dependence reaches a neglected degree, it is necessary to try to convey to the patient the need for treatment.
You can try to talk about the health of the drinker. Explain to him that you are seriously concerned that you have noticed how his health has deteriorated. Without censorship and swearing, it is necessary to explain that stomach and blood pressure problems, heart disorders - all of this came about as a result of alcohol abuse.
If a person before wanted to work and liked it, you can try to press this factor. Drinkers always have problems with work, from a simple dismissal to dismissal according to the "alcoholic" article. If that happens, it is almost impossible for a person to find a normal job. Gently remember what your spouse dreamed of when he wasn't drinking, how he planned his career.
If there is no right motivation, it is almost impossible to get an alcoholic treated. An addicted person must understand why he needs to quit and what privileges it will give him. He must want to consciously give up because of something important, and not at the whim of the family.
When talking to an alcoholic husband, you should try to convey the opinion that you are concerned about his deteriorating health. It is important to explain calmly that during the period of drunkenness, the alcoholic presented negative changes in appearance:
- cyanosis of the face,
- beer belly;
Alcoholics are also informed about changes in character and behavior. You can compare the health status of a drunk at the time of a healthy lifestyle with the current state. Experiment with the patient to assess the changes that have occurred and to convince him of the usefulness of treating the disease.
Alcoholism is a destructive tool in family relationships, which often leads to divorce. Until a drunk or alcoholic has acquired an advanced stage of pathology, there is a chance to save the family. It is necessary to try to convince the drinker of the need for treatment if the drunkard fails to fulfill its seminal functions:
- passive in relation to the spouse;
- is not interested in children;
- is not concerned with the material well-being of the family;
- is aggressive.
Try to convince the patient that he is loved by the family. The main thing in this matter is to calmly convey, without censorship, the idea of the need for treatment.
Finding a new job in such a situation is not easy. Even if this works, the work will be poorly paid and unskilled. To help a person who drinks in this case, it is necessary to persuade them to change their lifestyle, to justify how much their life has changed for the worse since the beginning of alcohol abuse. Without motivation, a drunk cannot easily be persuaded to seek treatment. It is important for the drinker to understand that this is exactly what he needs.
Can a person stop drinking alone?
We would like to warn you that self-treatment for alcoholics is rarely effective. Sometimes, with the help of character and will, this is possible if alcohol dependence has not yet reached the physical stage. The basis for giving up addiction is the desire to save a family, get a job, a status in society and another goal, the achievement of which will be a reward for the efforts made. To help yourself, it's worth starting to practice proper nutrition, running, weekly bathing procedures.
To combat alcoholism, popular and medicated methods of treatment are widely used. Both options have pros and cons. They are often practiced when it is impossible to convince a drinker, husband or child of the harmfulness of the habit. There are pharmacological and popular drugs that cause extreme aversion to alcohol. They are harmless, do not cause addiction or rejection of the body. They contain substances that are completely incompatible with alcohol. They are added to the drink or food of the person who drinks.
After drinking alcoholic beverages, they cause an unpleasant reaction in the body: vomiting, nausea, dizziness, etc. The most common folk remedies are:
- thyme broth; ram broth;
- St. John's wort decoction.
An interesting method of covert persuasion to stop drinking existed in ancient times - the manure mushroom. The mushroom contains a substance that prevents the conversion of ethyl alcohol into acetaldehyde. If you eat a mushroom and drink alcohol, the person will develop symptoms of severe poisoning. Thus, our grandmothers imperceptibly weaned their alcohol husbands. But in modern realities, it is better not to use such a method, especially since medicine has made great strides.
How to make an alcoholic heal - the right motivation
To convince an alcoholic to be treated, communication tactics must be developed:
- stop feeling sorry and cover up the drinker. The alcoholic should not be expected to stop drinking alone. This nanny approach, which solves problems for him, is beneficial for the alcoholic, as he does not stop drinking, but gets rid of everyday worries;
- you can't constantly make trouble with a drunk, lest you push him into a joyful lifestyle. It must be understood that hysteria and unnecessary discussions about alcohol use aggravate the problem, because after the next scandal the drunk will try even more for the bottle;
- when dealing with a dependent person, observe calmness and equanimity. In times of enlightenment, the alcoholic talks about curing a bad habit and about rehabilitation. It is allowed to call a narcologist at home;
- you need to support the drinker's desire for sobriety, demonstrate the pleasures of healing, try to find hobbies for him, new goals in life.
Only a few cases can be an exception in this order:
- the patient is dangerous to himself and others;
- the alcoholic has lost the ability to take care of himself;
- the drunk's mental state is serious, without medical intervention he will die.
Many people are interested in whether it is really possible to save a loved one from addiction. After the patient's compulsory hospitalization, measures are taken to block a fever attack, after which the patient is discharged from the hospital and sent home. Practice shows that the patient, even after the serious consequences of drinking, will resume the old one.
It is important to note that it is impossible to secretly cure a sick alcoholic. Often, people close to the patient enlist the help of healers, mediums and other non-traditional methods. Any means and actions for the recovery of an alcoholic without his consent are not only useless, but also deadly.
In addition, the doctor will do an exam. Developing a strategy for comprehensive patient healing will allow you to move purposefully toward the goal. It will not be possible to cure a drunk in a medical session or manipulation. In this matter, it is necessary, first of all, to establish the reason that caused the impetus to alcohol abuse.
How should someone behave properly with an alcoholic in order for him to agree to therapy?
If a person denies his addiction to the "green snake", he needs to be convinced otherwise. How to persuade an alcoholic to be treated so that he clearly understands the problem? To do this, you need to talk to him seriously, and the conversation must be conducted with a sober person. What you need to pay attention to:
- People who drink often have memory problems. It is worth remembering the unpleasant incidents of life that he forgot.
- The desire to take a sip on an alcoholic comes up quite often and for no reason. It is necessary to explain to him that, for ordinary people, problems at work or at home do not cause fun.
- It is worth finding out what an alcoholic feels in a sober head. Frustration and emptiness are some of the hallmarks of addiction. He needs to be clearly aware of this.
- Alcohol addicts lose control and often do not know the norm. Because of this, a person regularly goes on a spree.
The conversation must take place once. It is advisable to do this when the alcoholic is in the mood to talk. For example, the day before, he screwed up and was guilty. Each argument must be made with great confidence. You cannot speak out loud, insist with pity, resort to threats.
Often, during periods of intoxication, an alcoholic behaves inappropriately. In addition, such cases are completely forgotten and "thrown out" of memory. In order for him to see himself sideways at these moments, video evidence can be filmed. The drinker will not like what he saw, he must draw conclusions and agree with the treatment.
How to behave when adjusting a drunk to treatment:
- do not issue threats that you are unable to meet;
- a hint at how bad your loved one's behavior is when they are drunk;
- always shows confidence in his ability to stop drinking;
- we will understand to a loved one that the disease is to blame for everything, that it can and must be fought;
- don't deal with the alcoholic's drinking problem.
Tell us how difficult it is to see a drunk person, how unpleasant it is to hear strangers telling about an alcoholic's antics. He must realize that people close to him suffer from his addiction.
Any problems arising from drunkenness must be corrected by the alcoholic himself. Payment of debts made on a spree, reconciliation with relatives, confrontations with the boss - all of this is decided by the culprit himself.
Any good reason to quit can be done. Family happiness is a strong argument for starting treatment.
Recently, many experts have come to the conclusion that alcoholism is a disease. How to justify this statement and convince to start treatment:
- Diagnosis. Any disease has symptoms, including alcoholism. It is expressed in an irresistible desire for alcohol, changes in behavior, denial of the desire for strong drinks.
- Chemical dependency. Because of it, a person starts to abuse alcohol. Everyone has problems in the family and at work, but only dependents get drunk because of it.
- Progression of the disease. The development of alcoholism follows a predictable scenario. In the end, a person finally degrades.
- Alcoholism is a chronic disease. Therefore, a person who has not consumed alcohol in years breaks a glass of vodka.
- The consequence is death. If treatment is not started in time, the patient will die before the prescribed time. The cause is usually concomitant diseases: cirrhosis, heart attack, cardiomyopathy and other diseases.
Treatment for alcoholism is very time-consuming. You need to be patient and not give up under any circumstances. Some are content with coding, which helps many addicts. The main thing is that a person understands a simple truth - he is absolutely prohibited from drinking alcoholic beverages. It is an addiction that comes back even after a few grams of alcohol. Therefore, for these people, sobriety must become the norm.
How to find the cause of alcoholism
The treatment of alcohol dependence will be meaningless in 2 cases: if a person is satisfied with everything and wants to continue drinking, or if they have a good reason to seek solace in alcoholic beverages. If the provoking factor is eliminated, it will be much easier to cure the alcoholic. It is possible that he will stop drinking without coding.
Often, the causes of chronic drunkenness are quite obvious, so they can be identified without much difficulty. As a rule, the alcoholic calls himself during a confidential conversation. If you cannot ask him alone, this can be done with the help of a psychologist. The specialist will find out why a person is dissatisfied with his life and give the necessary advice.
The most common causes of alcoholism:
- uninteresting and boring work or excessive free time;
- drinking constantly with friends, relatives or colleagues, gradually evolving to alcohol dependence;
- unstable personal life, fights in the family, recent relationship breakdown, betrayal or loss of a loved one;
- lack of work or housing, poverty, busy life, feeling of despair;
- the presence of serious or fatal fatal diseases, the desire to relieve pain with alcohol;
- heavy heredity, predisposition to alcoholism.
Methods to help bring an alcoholic back to normal life
If you were able to persuade an alcoholic for treatment, immediately complete the following steps in the planned plan. As soon as the patient agrees, it is necessary to go to a consultation with a narcologist for the specialist to prescribe the necessary therapy in this situation. To exclude breakdowns, remove any alcoholic beverages from the home and also exclude possible drunken encounters with ex-drink buddies.
It was quiet on paper, so don't think you will get consent for your negligent alcoholic husband's treatment on the first try. This is a very difficult task that requires a lot of patience and, somewhere, even a woman's cunning and ingenuity. But when the result is achieved, your life will change dramatically, which will be a valuable reward for your efforts.
There are several clinics that can forcibly admit a patient by court order. The therapy process itself is divided into several stages:
- Motivational conversation with a psychologist. In some cases, this measure helps the person to become aware of the addiction and accept voluntary treatment.
- Forced admission to an inpatient unit.
- Detoxification procedure.
- Rehabilitation (includes medication coding, psychological support, hospitalization).
- Social adaptation. Assistance to a former alcoholic to find a job, learn a new profession, psychological support.
- Working with relatives. This includes explanatory conversations, participation in self-help groups, personal consultations with a psychologist.
The best solution is to take the drunkard to a paid specialist clinic, where mandatory treatment services are provided. The disadvantage of this method is that keeping an alcoholic for a long time in the clinic requires large financial investments. So, a day in the hospital will be expensive. The price depends on the region and the class of the hospital.
Another way is to place the patient in a psychiatric dispensary. This measure is considered extreme. You can only go to a psychiatric clinic by court order or psychiatric team (local experts decide on the need for urgent hospitalization). In the latter case, the presence of a police squad is mandatory - it will register the presence of a real threat to the health of the patient or those around him.
Some believe that it is possible to forcibly treat an alcoholic at home. Several decoctions of herbs are considered especially effective - they reduce the desire for alcohol.
Here is one of the recipes. Take the following ingredients in equal proportions (10 g each):
- Dry roots of burdock and sorrel.
Place the herbs in an enamel bowl, pour a glass of boiling water and heat for 15 minutes in a water bath. The resulting broth is filtered, drunk in small portions during the day. It is not recommended to prepare a drink for future use - it should always be made on the spot. If you want to secretly cure a person from drunkenness, you can add small portions of the infusion to alcoholic beverages.
You can also buy a ready made herbal mix. It is famous for these properties:
- discourages the desire to drink alcohol;
- enhances the body's protective functions;
- stimulates the immune system;
- helps to eliminate toxins and cleanse the liver.
This drink is especially convenient because it is prepared and drunk like a common herbal tea in unlimited quantities throughout the day.
If close people have managed to influence an alcoholic to undergo chemical and psychotherapeutic treatment, it is important to decide on other actions. The main task at this point is to strengthen the motivation for a healthy lifestyle. Most addicted people see no point in being sober. Living the right way is scary because alcoholics don't know what to do next and how to get pleasure from life. To help this person, those close to you should:
- to be convinced that an alcoholic is a weak-willed selfish, childish person. Satisfying the drunk's desires just to prevent him from drinking again is the wrong way. It is necessary to allow the patient to make decisions on his own, so that he can enjoy such an action;
- support the positive aspects of a sober life, persuade the patient to write them down to support daily motivation;
- saving the patient from the usual social circle, for which it is better to move to a new place of residence;
- keep the ex-alcoholic interested in a new hobby, don't let him have free time to reflect on a boring existence. To do this, change jobs, take him away with a hobby, sports.
Be consistent in your own campaigns and views.
- Show examples of important people in the society of alcoholics who have quit.
- Go to a consultation together with a psychotherapist and a narcologist.
- Adjust your personal position in family life from sacrificial or overly controlling to the opposite.
Remember that only a well-constructed addict's motivation for treatment and a sober lifestyle will help to persuade the patient to mandatory treatment.