Living together with an alcoholic is far from what girls dream about when they fantasize about their wedding day. It is hard to imagine that someone willingly wants to live "happily ever after" with a person addicted to alcohol, endure their aggressions or complaints about life, clean his house, take care of him, feel disgusted and ashamed of his behavior towards neighbors, colleagues, friendseparentes. It is not surprising that an alcoholic's marriage falls apart if nothing can get him to overcome his desire to drink. There are, however, courageous women who fight to the end for their family, applying a variety of measures to the drunk, whose purpose is the same - so that the husband does not drink, in order to discourage him from ruining his life (bothyours as that of your relatives) with the addiction to intoxicated drinks.
The first thing to do is try to persuade him. If the desire to drink is associated with problems outside the family - with work, career, friends, and if alcoholism has not gone too far, he can stop easily, having found support from relatives.
A constructive dialogue should only be initiated after careful preparation and taking into account certain rules:
- you cannot speak to a person until he returns to a suitable state and is able to understand reasonable arguments;
- you should not try to convince an alcoholic while he is experiencing the "delights" of a hangover;
- it is undesirable to try to evoke pity or, on the contrary, scandalize a person who drinks (even in a sober state), attention is often needed;
- you can threaten a drunk, but it is important to prepare for the execution of that threat;
- Before starting a conversation, it is advisable to consult a narcologist so that the alcoholic, if desired, can go immediately to the clinic for treatment.
If the wife can prove to her husband that she drinks the need to seek help, to convince him to at least try to change his life, this man will have a chance. This can also be helped by drawing up the so-called “motivation list”. You can work together to discover a number of reasons why getting rid of alcoholism will not only be easy, but also beneficial. For example:
- to earn the respect of your children;
- to save money on a big purchase or vacation for a month;
- to start learning something new instead of drunkenness or start building a career.
The reasons for each person can be individual. You can motivate yourself because of a hobby, for example, playing sports or playing with a car in the garage, the main thing is that he dedicates all his free time to it and does not drink or is in bad company. You may need the help of a psychotherapist.
When persuasion goes unanswered
Conversations, convictions, supplications - in most cases are not enough to awaken awareness.It is very rarely possible to prove to a drinker that his lifestyle is destructive, because even if he believes that, his own strength to fight alcohol dependence may not be enough. Instead, the best remedy is traditional medication and folk remedies.
Industrial pharmacology medicines are designed to create a feeling of rejection of alcohol in a person who drinks, they can cause aversion to alcohol, its appearance, taste and smell. Just mix an alcoholic-like drug, add it to food or drink, and if he drinks vodka or even beer, he'll immediately feel bad. Medicines with this effect contain an active substance (or disulfiram, or cyanamide), which interferes with the normal process of processing ethyl alcohol, causes the accumulation of metabolic products in the blood and, as a result, persistent symptoms of intoxication and hangover. And a person who has been sick at least once after alcohol poisoning will have an aversion to alcohol for a long time. If you add a similar medicine (Esperal tablets, Kolme drops and the like) to a drunk, it can make you think twice before taking another dose of alcohol.
As soon as the drugs start to take effect, another attempt can be made to persuade the alcoholic to undergo treatment by describing the benefits of treatment at a drug treatment clinic:
- constant monitoring of health status;
- psychological support, especially important for preventing relapse;
- qualified assistance for the restoration of internal organs damaged by the abuse of ethyl alcohol.
Treatment in a hospital under the supervision of a narcologist is the best anti-alcohol therapy, which practically does not fail.
Alternative medicine against excessive alcohol consumption is even more ingenious to stop patients from drinking. Popular methods suggest the preparation of decoctions and infusions that act in a similar way to official medicines, talk about completely original remedies:
- green insects - you can throw 4 insects in a glass of alcohol to cause an unpleasant smell and taste and therefore aversion to the alcohol itself; pepper
- - you can convince a person to give up drinking with the help of a tincture (3 drops per 1 liter of alcohol), which is created from spicy red pepper (crushed, 20 gr. ), filled with alcohol(500 ml) and infused for two weeks;
- birch smoke - you can ask to breathe over steaming birch logs and then offer alcohol, after which you will develop a strong aversion to products containing alcohol.
It is important to understand that treatment without the supervision of a specialist, even with traditional methods, although popular, should be carried out with extreme caution, otherwise the person may not only have an aversion to drinking and a desire not to drink more, butalso serious health problems.
The final stage of the fight
When all methods of struggle are exhausted, there is only one last resort: to threaten the husband with separation if he does not stop drinking. At the same time, it is important for a drunkard's wife:
- be ready to execute your threat without several warnings (1-2 times will be enough);
- leave her husband sincerely, do not arouse pity and make him beg for forgiveness;
- not to believe in promises, vows and tears;
- start working hard and fast - if the house belongs to the husband who drinks, you need to take your things away in his absence and go out with your children for a while;
- don't go back to the drunk until he really proves he's started being treated.
You should not return to your alcoholic husband if the situation of leaving and returning does not manifest itself for the first time: sooner or later he will understand that his wife cannot really leave him, however drunk he may be. .
To get rid of alcohol at home, not to allow the drink to occupy a significant place at the party, to "drive away" untrustworthy friends from the house. . . All of this is much easier to do than later "poisoning" your spouse with means that repel ethyl alcohol. A positive example is a good reason for anyone in the family to drink.